This post contains affiliate links. This means we may earn a small percentage if you make purchases through our links. There is no cost to you. Please refer to "Legal Info" for more information about affiliate links.
I made a DIY Turkey Quiet Book Pattern to share! The original Button Turkey Quiet Book Page was made for my little Monkey after I saw this idea on Pinterest.
While I was attempting to brainstorm ideas for a Thanksgiving quiet book page, I remembered the idea and decided to adapt it to a quiet book page.
This turkey quiet book page is awesome for practicing several skills!
The buttons allow little fingers to practice fine motor skills. I love the large buttons for this.
Depending on the colors you use, the feathers assist in practicing color matching. But, they also introduce self-corrected spelling. The child can match up the feathers by matching the button and feather colors. Or, the child can arrange the feathers in order to spell “thanks”.
I still haven’t sewn the backing on this Thanksgiving Turkey quiet book page yet. I want to come up with a matching page for the right side before I bind it. Do you have any suggestions for Thanksgiving quiet book pages? I can’t decide between a felt cornucopia, autumn leaves, or something to do with pie. I’m leaning toward the pie!
To sew your own DIY Button Turkey Quiet Book Page, you will need:
- The Pattern
- Felt (background color, dark brown, light brown, orange, red, black, white, and colors for the feathers-we used blue, pink, purple, green, orange, yellow)
- Buttons to match the feather colors (I used these)
- Embroidery thread to match
- Hand-sewing needle
- Clover Wonder Clips (optional)
- Scissors (these are my favorite for cutting precisely – Or check out some other tools for cutting felt)
- Felt glue (Optional – this is my favorite brand)
- Sewing Machine and thread (optional – this is the one I have and I love it!)
- Freezer paper (Optional – Check out my tutorial to learn how to cut felt with freezer paper if you’ve never used freezer paper before)
Steps to assemble your Turkey Thanksgiving Quiet Book Page:
Note: I didn’t take pictures of each step but I think the assembly is pretty clear. If you need any assistance, feel free to email me!
- Cut out all pattern pieces (Download the free pattern by joining the newsletter above)
- Sew eyes, beak, snood onto turkey’s head
- Sew head, feet, and buttons onto turkey’s body
- Sew body onto background (make sure to sew body low enough that feathers will still be inside the book when attached to the body)
- Sew individual letters (THANKS) onto each of the individual feather fronts
- Sew the back of the feather to the front of the feather (I used a blanket stitch for this.)
- Create button holes in the feathers (I used the button hole maker on my sewing machine.)
If you sew a DIY button turkey quiet book page, I would love to see it! Join the FWLD Facebook group to share things you’ve sewn from our patterns! I also pin photos of our patterns to the “FWLD Patterns in Action” Pinterest Board. Or tag us on Instagram!
Not ready to start sewing? Pin this DIY button turkey quiet book page pattern for later by clicking HERE.
[Note: I had a hard time finding buttons I liked in the colors I wanted and the ones I ended up using were on the larger side (1.25″ diameter, I believe.) If you use different size buttons, you may need to adjust the body of the turkey to fit the buttons.]