Friendly Little Ghost Blankie Buddy Tutorial + Free Pattern
Inspired by one of our most popular posts, Monkey and his Blankie, I am kicking off another series of soft toys to share, Blankie Buddies!! Our first in the series is the tutorial and free pattern for a super quick ghost! This is a fun way to use up some scraps of Holiday fabric.
All of the Blankie Buddies will have their own blankie and all will be fairly simple, beginner-level sewing projects. I plan to use fleece for all of them because I love soft stuffies but you can use whatever fabric you have on hand.
To make your own ghost Blankie Buddy, you will need:
- The body pattern and the arms/legs pattern (You only need the arms)
- Fleece (black and white)
- Matching thread
- Fabric (2 – 9″ squares)
- Sewing machine
- Cut all of the pieces from fleece (leave a seam allowance for the arms and body pieces – not included in pattern)
- Stitch the black eyes and mouth to the white body piece
- Fold over the front body piece in a couple places and pin in place (make sure it matches up with the back piece when you are finished folding and pinning.)
- Sew a short line over the folds, close to the bottom of the ghost
- Sew the backs to the 2 arm pieces, leaving a gap where it connects to the body (to flip and stuff)
- Flip right side
- Stuff the arms
- With right sides facing and the arms pointed in, toward the center of the body, sew the arms to the decorated front body piece
- Pin the plain white body back piece over the white body front piece (arms should be folded up inside still – as shown above) and sew all the way around, leaving a gap big enough to turn (I left a gap on the left side, under the arm)
- Turn right side and check all seams for holes (fix any problem areas before moving on)
- Stuff to your liking
- Using a ladder stitch, sew the opening closed
- Stitch the corner of the blanket into the ghost’s hand (see below for steps to make the blanket)
To make the blanket:
- Cut two squares of fabric
- Place squares with outsides facing and pin together
- Sew around squares, leaving a gap at one corner
- Turn blanket right side out
- Hand-stitch gap closed
- Top-stitch all the way around blanket
**See the stuffed monkey post for photos, if you need more guidance making the blanket.
The ghost Blankie Buddy is a super quick and easy project that would be perfect for a beginner or to teach an older child to sew!
Tomorrow, we are excited to be joining the 31 days of Halloween over on GYCT Designs where Ghost will get a friend!!