Links With Love: Free Finger Puppet Patterns
Around here, we LOVE finger puppets. My original collection of free finger puppet patterns is consistently our most viewed post and was also one of the first posted here, so I thought it was time to update it!
In the last year, I have made my fair share of finger puppets!
Most recently, we shared a free pattern for some ocean creatures. The first set contains a template for a hammerhead shark, squid, deep-sea angler, submarine, and walrus.
Our second set of ocean finger puppets contains a free pattern for creating an eel, seahorse, pelican, lobster, and manta ray!
During Halloween last year, we created these Halloween character finger puppets. While there isn’t a free pattern yet, these guys are too cute not to share with you all (again.)
These puppy finger puppets I created from a free pattern I found on Pinterest were the first set of finger puppets (and one of our other most-loved posts) we shared here last year!
And while you’re here, don’t forget to check out the CUSTOM puppy finger puppet we created! [Contact us if you are interested in having you own puppy turned into a finger puppet!!] There isn’t a free pattern for this guy either but he is definitely worth checking out too!
Sign up for our newsletter for more free finger puppet patterns. I release a finger puppet pattern in our newsletter each month that you cannot get anywhere else!
After making the puppy finger puppets, I went on a search for other free finger puppet patterns and compiled a list of my favorites! Leave a link in the comments if you know any other free patterns that should be added to the list.
Each post linked below contains its own free pattern so be sure to click through and download all of them!
- Storytime Katie – Another own version of the same puppies I made with a cute rhyme included for story time!
- The Purl Bee – I love the combination of white and bright spring colors in these bunny finger puppets. I made these for Easter this year and we love them! The free pattern and tutorial were extremely easy to follow. My set of 6 were finished during Monkey’s nap!
- Wild Olive – For all you Muppets fans out there, a free pattern and tutorial for an adorable Kermit finger puppet! The Muppets are a favorite movie here so we’ve had it on our list for awhile to create the finger puppets of the whole cast. Need more time in the day! Wild Olive also provides free downloads for Easter Finger Puppets, Alice in Wonderland printable puppets (could be used as a template for some cute felt finger puppets!), Goldilocks and the Three Bears mitten puppets (could also easily be turned into cute finger puppets), and a tutorial for a bacon finger puppet from bacon fabric (I need to make this for Hubby).
- Craftiness is not Optional – Free pattern for a set of finger puppets to accompany Tacky the Penguin (If you haven’t read this yet, I highly recommend it. It’s one of our favorites!) We LOVE anything that brings stories to life and I can’t wait to make a set of these to go along with our copy of the book (and the sequel!) Although she doesn’t include a pattern, she also made some cute Star Wars finger puppets you should check out.
- Nichole Heady – A tutorial and free pattern for a lion, hippo, and monkey finger puppet. The hippo is probably my favorite. So cute!
- Dream a Little Bigger – These are some really funky alien finger puppets. The pieces would also make a great build your own monster quiet book page. Hmmmm… the ideas! While you’re over there, check out her free patterns for Easter finger puppets and the “Rascally Raccoon” finger puppet.
- Bright Apple Blossom – Eight different animals including a bear, lion, frog, cat, dog, peacock, monkey, and pig (and an update with a giraffe – not pictured) are included in this free pattern! She also shared some paper animal finger puppet Valentine’s for download that could easily make cute templates for a felt version!
- Homemade by Jill – A free pattern for finger Puppets to go along with the Monkeys and Crocodile song complete with printable lyrics to the song. While over there I got lost in all of her felt projects, including some really cute felt play food that I really want to make for Monkey.
- Just Another Day in Paradise – These Old McDonald characters are hand puppets, not finger puppets, but they are way too cute not to include in this list! I know Monkey will love playing with these. I need to find time to make our own set!
- Red Fly Creations – I usually just store our finger puppets in zippered pencil pouches so they are easy to toss into my purse when we need a quiet time activity for errands but this drawstring puppet storage bag is adorable! It would be perfect for the Old Macdonald set above!
There are SO MANY more ideas out there for creating finger puppets. I am planning to put together another list of free finger puppet patterns very soon. In the meantime, head over to our Finger Puppets board on Pinterest for more inspiration!
If you have seen any free finger puppet patterns I haven’t included in this list, please leave a link in the comments and I will include them in our next round-up!
PS … If you LOVE finger puppets as much as I do and are looking for some additional original ideas, check out the Woodland Creatures finger puppets we designed for One Thimble e-zine!!