Finger Puppets: Ocean Exploration Set 2
Hi! We are excited to share a free pattern for our second set of ocean finger puppets with you! Our first set was designed specifically for an exciting opportunity we will be sharing tomorrow. Don’t forget to come back and check those out as well!!
[EDIT: There is an updated version of this post! Be sure to check out the COMPLETE SET of Ocean Finger Puppets!!]
As you can see, Hubby had a great time sketching out sea creatures for me to turn into finger puppets. He even got side-tracked with a mermaid.
Before I start sewing, I copy all my patterns to freezer paper and iron them on to their appropriate colors of felt. Ironing all of them at once saves bit of time. I leave the freezer paper attached and put all the pieces into piles until I start each puppet.
Materials you will need:
- The Pattern
- Felt (colors stated below, with each puppet)
- thread to match felt
*Felt colors: blue, dark grey, light grey, black, and white
- Cut all pieces from felt
- Position the back light grey eye piece and stitch down to the blue background.
- Position the light grey eye/lower body piece, overlapping the the back eye piece and stitch in place.
- Position the dark grey body piece over the light grey pieces and stitch down to the blue background.
- Position the eye overlapping where the dark grey and light grey pieces meet and stitch down using black thread (When creating eyes, I place the white portion, place the black over white, and stitch the black through the white. Not stitching the white separately makes the eyes pop a bit more.)
- Match up the manta front and back and stitch together using a blanket stitch, leaving bottom open (I also go back and stitch just the front edge of the opening with a blanket stitch to reinforce it but that is totally optional.)
*Felt colors: blue, red, dark red, and black
- Cut all pieces from felt
- Position the red lobster body onto the blue background
- Using black thread, stitch the black details onto the red body piece (I free-hand the stitching but included the lines on the pattern pieces so you can trace them straight onto the piece, to make it easier to stitch.)
- Stitch the dark red antennae onto the red body piece
- Match up the lobster body front and back and stitch together using a blanket stitch, leaving bottom open (I also go back and stitch just the front edge of the opening with a blanket stitch to reinforce it but that is totally optional.)
Don’t forget to come back tomorrow for the pattern for the first set and Saturday for the tutorial for the last few finger puppets (pelican, eel, and seahorse.)
We love designing finger puppets and would love to hear some suggestions from you! Leave us a comment with your suggestions and we will start designing!!