Quiet Book: Turkey Buttoning
I saw this idea on Pinterest awhile ago and wanted to make one for The Monkey. While we were attempting to brainstorm ideas for Thanksgiving quiet book pages, I remembered this idea and we decided to adapt it to a quiet book page.
Hubby drafted up a turkey design and I got to work tracing, cutting, and sewing. This is what we came up with. If you like it, download the free pattern below! To make your own button turkey quiet book page you will need:
- Felt (background color, dark brown, light brown, orange, red, black, white, and colors for the feathers-we used blue, pink, purple, green, orange, yellow)
- Buttons to match the feather colors (I used these)
- Thread to match the felt
- Felt glue (optional)
- Cut out all pattern pieces (Download the free pattern above)
- Sew eyes, beak, wattle onto turkey’s head
- Sew head, feet, and buttons onto turkey’s body
- Sew body onto background (make sure to sew body low enough that feathers will still be inside the book when attached to the body)
- Sew individual letters (THANKS) onto each individual feather front
- Sew back of feather to front of feather (I used a blanket stitch for this.)
- Create button holes in the feathers (I used the button hole maker on my sewing machine.)
If you downloaded our pattern and made something, let us know! We would love to include yours in our reader gallery! Leave a link in the comments or send us an email! What did you think of our button turkey quiet book page? As always, we love feedback from our readers! Let us know yous thoughts and suggestions!
[Note: I had a hard time finding buttons I liked in the right colors and the ones I ended up using were on the larger side (1.25″ diameter, I believe) so I adjusted the body of the turkey to fit the buttons. I kept the rest of the turkey the same. I would recommend using smaller buttons.]